- 2 small shallots
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- A small handful of tarragon leaves
- 60g softened butter
- 600g asparagus
Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 5 mins
1. Peel and finely chop the shallots. Place them in a small bowl and pour over 1 tbsp red wine vinegar. Add a pinch of salt and scrunch together with your hands for 1 min. Leave to pickle for 10 mins, then drain.
2. Finely chop the tarragon leaves. Mix the drained shallots with the softened butter and tarragon till combined. This is your pickled shallot and tarragon butter and it will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days if you want to make it ahead. Take it out of the fridge 1 hr before you want to serve the asparagus.
3. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Snap the woody ends off the asparagus – bend them and they’ll snap in the right place. Add the tender asparagus tips to the pan and simmer for 2-3 mins till just tender.
4. Drain the asparagus and arrange it on a serving platter or serving plates. Dot over the pickled shallot and tarragon butter to serve.