- 50g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 150g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 200g wholewheat pain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 large apple, peeled and coarsley grated
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 egg, whisked
- 250ml apple juice
- A few handfuls of chopped nuts and/or dried fruit (optional)
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Brush a loaf tin with oil or butter then dust the greased tin with a coating of plain flour – this will help stop the bread from sticking.Brush a loaf tin with oil or butter then dust the greased tin with a coating of flour – this will help stop the bread from sticking.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, salt and bicarb. Fold in the grated apples. Add the melted butter, honey, egg and apple juice, along with any nuts and/or dried fruit, if using (save some nuts to scatter on top, if so). Gently fold all the ingredients together, being careful not to overmix.
3. Tip the mixture into the tin. Scatter any reserved nuts over the top. Slide the loaf into the oven to bake for 30 mins, or till a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
4. Let the bread cool in the tin for 10-15 mins before turning out and serving.